Friday, November 4, 2011

Travel Exploits: Grand Rapids, MI

Michigan in the Fall. Nostalgic, reminiscent, and rainy. 1998 was the last time it was home, but the formative years of my upbringing are rooted there. Although, I can't claim born & raised status, as a transplant at the age of 2 straight from "the rabbit hutches" (aka Wymount Terrace at BYU in Provo, UT.)

We came into town in a combined purpose for Courtney & Nick's wedding, and visiting the in-laws, cousins, and old friends. Grand Rapids may not boast the most cutting-edge, modern, in vogue scene but what it lacks in popular trends it makes up for with a steady, gritty, north Midwestern, art & industry. It vibes the tenets of tenacity with a moody tone of melancholy. Downtown culture meets blue collar. There will always be a fundamental element of myself that resonates there. How else can I explain why while jogging in the morning through the industrial park near my in-laws I found myself swiveling my head in appreciative yet covert glances to the factory workers more frequently than I have while jogging in cities through suited stock brokers!?

Fall in Michigan means rain. It rained non-stop, for 3 straight days, and then off and on for the remainder of the week (granted the week before was supposedly gorgeous.) But still, how did I not remember this? It's a real wonder how a girl with a bit of a pessimistic streak could develop a propensity for depression after a childhood, & adolescence through such unyielding precipitation. And for the record, Thunderstorms are a different category. Thunderstorms are sultry, exciting, and comforting. I'm complaining about gray, sunless, cold, drizzle. And it's not just me. I'll let this picture of the Occupy Grand Rapids protest on October 19th speak for itself. You know the weather sucks when only a handful of people are sticking it out in an economic protest in a state hit hard by the recession. (Sorry I didn't get close enough to capture the protest signs. I didn't have an umbrella, and didn't want to get drenched for a photo op.)

But really, I can't be too harsh on the weather in Michigan. I see a lot of smiling faces of friends there, and those are a natural anti-depressant. Let's face it, Texas has spoiled us with sun. Upon our return, and a day of airplane travel with the boys (I'll spare you the details), we were met with 85 degrees and sunshine. Zayne lost no time in stripping off his layers to be shirtless with shorts, and go outside and enjoy a Popsicle. For the record, I removed Penders shirt because...he's a 9 month old, with a Popsicle.


No comments:

Post a Comment