Monday, January 21, 2013

MLK Day

Our MLK Day. My methods (educationally-wise) on this holiday from school for Zayne were unconventional and random. Our curriculum is sometimes a bit "fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants" on these days off. This also means we incorporate loose plans and probably no forethought to an actual academic approach to education. Morning item on the itinerary? Visiting the FWSM during the FWSSR. Fort Worth Science Museum during the Fort Worth Stock Show Rodeo. Plugging away with a giant Lite-Brites, driving a mini ambulance, laying on a bed of nails, and scaring the wits out of my 2 year old at a 3-D experience meets rows of tractors, cowboys, and trucks. Lots of heavy, gutteral, roaring trucks. We didn't even go onto the stock show grounds. This was just a teaser. We will likely make our way back for a more thorough exploration this weekend. 

I'll just condense the whole way home to one sentence. Basically a $6 trip to McDonalds resulted in at least 30 minutes of unhappiness for 3 people. You do the math. It basically equals letting the kids grumble from hunger until we got home would have resulted in the same outcome and so I should have just pocketed the $6.

Home, naptime, and quick FB check later and I have a somewhat relevant lesson plan for MLK Day. As Zayne plays with an online Martin Luther King Jr coloring page 
MLK Coloring Page, I told him a quick bio with surprisingly accurate quotations from the "I Have a Dream" speech. (I fact checked afterwards so as not to lose the 6 year olds attention ;)

It didn't take long for us to digress...in all fairness a quick shift to pop culture icons is not always a digression. I guess it depends where it takes us and where we end up at that determines whether it was a digression or an educational ascension.  I'll let you be the judge...
We detoured through coloring pages and Mom narrated bio's of  Bill Cosby, Rosa Parks, President Barrack Obama, and Michael Jackson. It was then that I realized my son had likely never seen Michael Jackson moon-walk. Well that just wouldn't do. Ending our MLK day educational exploration in ta-da, another "youtube moment" MJ Moonwalk


 




No comments:

Post a Comment