Monday, September 5, 2011

Barbies & Babies

The last month or so has sparked a few of the inquiries as to whether or not I am planning on having anymore kids. I'll be honest, the last 8 months have not incited me to procreate again. At least this was what I thought my stance was...

On my trip to Utah last month my mother informed me that she had salvaged & stored my Barbie and The Rockers collection I played with as a girl. I'm not sure she expected my 30 year old rocker chic reaction of intense excitement at this revelation. As we unpacked the box, I was so giddy at finding the stage, I nearly had to slap myself. Guitars, keyboards, microphones, leggings, fringe, and wardrobes, all the makings of a rockstar fantasy! My mom told me to take it home and store it for myself. I hug her for knowing that out of all my childhood toys, this would be the one set I would have kept.

A couple of days later Zayne, Pender, and I are at "Toys 2 Us" with my aunt Deb. As we are bee-lining it for the legos, we pass an end display with Barbies. It was probably my recent rediscovery of my own vintage set that caused me to even take a second look. But look I did, and saw one last "Ladies of the 80's" Barbie on clearance. It seemed almost fate like that it was one of my style icons Debbie Harry (Blondie). Zayne immediatly noticed the similarity (bless that child) when he remarked "Mom, that doll has your hair". Well, yes son, but technically I have her hair. So as my aunt Deb lovingly spoiled my son with Star Wars legos, I checked out with the Debbie Harry Barbie. As I was walking away from the counter, bag in hand, I realized I was storing Barbies for whom????......ah hell!!!, I'm going to be one of THOSE Mormons with all the kids by the time I get that baby girl! Yet, I still readied and packaged the Barbies for my mom to ship down to us.

But Zayne came to my rescue once again. The package of Barbies arrived, packed amongst the plethora of Lego prizes he received from all of his aunts & uncles. So as we are unpacking it all, he sees the stage, the guitars, and the "dolls". He knew immediately it was a rock star set up (he's my mini me after-all). After playing for a few hours with the Legos he came up to me tentatively and inquired "Mom, I've never played dolls before. Can we set up the rock star doll stage? I will hold the man rock star". I have to admit, I was a little excited to branch out from ninja warriors, Star Wars, and super heroes (all of which I've only been introduced & acclimated to in the last couple years). So I showed him how to play Barbie & The Rockers. He chose Debbie Harry for his guy to marry. And the Rockers played an awesome wedding set of covers (all chosen by Zayne) including Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down", Journeys "Separate Ways Worlds Apart", and Def Leppard "Animal". As we belted out "And I want, and I need, and I lust animal!", I realized that I already have a little rocker and so maybe I won't have to be one of THOSE Mormons with all the babies after-all. But then again, Barbies were kind of fun...

2 comments:

  1. How fun! So glad you are writng and sharing on your blog! love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I totally want a Debbie Harry Barbie too!

    ReplyDelete