Tuesday, September 13, 2011

New York Fashion Week: "Whips & Chains Excite Me"

In honor of NYFW (New York Fashion Week), I wanted to put in my two cents about some of the fashion trends for Fall 2011. I've gained my fashion education from years of being a dedicated reader of fashion magazines and fashion blogs. The progression started from Seventeen magazine (short stint at about 13 years old) and graduated to Vogue circa 1995. A couple years ago when a friend bought me a subscription to Elle for Christmas, I was hooked. And so when it came time to renew, with the recession dictating that my pocket book only keep one magazine subscription, it was the liberal, 30+ demographic of Elle that won out. Speaking from someone that once dreamed of being an editor for a fashion magazine, that is a tolerable accolade (aka endorsement).

So my favorite time of year is upon us. Fall brings so many good things (Leaves, my birthday, NYFW, fashion bibles arrive, Halloween) and that says a lot because I am a sun, pool junkie. So the ushering out of summer is tricky for the 'depressives' (I'm creating a 'sub type' for my brand of crazy so that I don't have to feel 'mentally hilarious' all by myself.) But it's difficult to be too sad when you read about how the designers have given you clearance to wear black by designating the S&M, bondage, Dominatrix inspired pieces as this seasons sex appeal.

It was most likely coincidental that just as I was contemplating how to 'subtly' incorporate this into my already rocker chic influenced style, I tuned into NPR's Fresh Air just in time to hear an interview with the author of the book "Whip Smart", a memoir of a Dominatrix who worked in a dungeon in Manhattan. Simultaneously fascinating and creepy? Yes. Shocking? No. Elements of this world have an erotic appeal. But ever since I was 16 wandering around the upper level of Purple East in downtown Grand Rapids, my curiosity was appeased. It was as if the mystery was revealed and it all seemed so obvious, so predictable, so structured. And then there was the graphic slide show in college, that my FBI Profiler professor showed us in our Criminal Profiling course. Actual photographs from cases he had worked. Suffice it to say, I saw the darkest side of the bondage fetish. Ever since, I have been drawn to more of the Agent Provocateur variety. It makes sense really that it would be mostly about the fashion for me. The black leather, stiletto boots, fishnet, corsets, lace-up bodices, metal, & chains. As I have all of these in some form or another, it seemed my only obstacle would be fashioning some S&M inspired outfits which assume the sex appeal without assuming the look of "I work in a dungeon".

Going to my closet and rifling through the lingerie, corsets, & fishnet, I started with risque and began layering. My influencing muses being flashbacks to Area 51 goth night in Salt Lake City pre-millennium, Lords of Acid, and Equestrian paraphernalia. I started with the fishnet shirt-dress, I bought as pregnancy lingerie (hey...it's stretchy), then added a blouse, a belt, and a drapey tunic. It was then that I realized in my attempt to pull this off with my "not quite back to normal after my 2nd baby bod", I was having to pull way too much influence from Stevie Nicks. I mean she is a style icon in her own right. In the gypsy, hippie kind of way, but not so much in the sex trade kind of way. Something tells me that this seasons poncho is not supposed to be paired with whips and chains. Yet despite my billowing layers, I must have tapped into my inner sadomasochist at some point. I exited my closet with some formidable options to rock this seasons domineering trend: black patent leather boots with a metal stiletto heel (aka, my hooker boots I bought in Vegas), a lace up bustier, a chain necklace, a black belt with metal rings, & some leather bracelets. And who knows, it may not even take a whole season of leather & chains for me to be ready to be hogtied.

1 comment:

  1. "And who knows, it may not even take a whole season of leather & chains for me to be ready to be hogtied." Umm... pure genius.

    ReplyDelete