Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Y+Top 40=Soccer Mom

It's official, I'm a "Soccer Mom". Last Thursday sealed the deal. After bringing Zayne to the Y to sign up for Spring soccer we were driving home. As I was surfing through some radio stations to avoid the NPR fund drive, Zayne piped up from the back, "Mom go back to the 'tonight, yeah baby' song!" You know you are a Mom, when you turn the dial back to "The Edge of Glory" by Lady Gaga. I turned it up so that he could belt out the chorus. I smiled widely as I watched my singer bob his head to the beat in the rear-view mirror. It wasn't until evening that I remembered why I avoid Top 40. Besides the obvious grating to my rock-n-roll soul. The repetitive-can't-get-it-out-of-our-heads cacophony of "There ain't no reason you and me should be alone tonight...." for the remainder of the afternoon, from both Zayne and myself, clinched it. Yet of course next time I hear "Mom, turn it back to...", I'll enthusiastically comply. What's a "Soccer Mom" without a Top 40 soundtrack?!

1 comment: