Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Art Class on the Driveway


Today I had an epiphany as I was backing down the drive way heading out to take Zayne to pre-school. As we reversed over top the painted and chalk covered driveway we had turned into our canvas the previous afternoon, I realized another legitimate reason for paying pre-school tuition instead of keeping him home and teaching him myself. Which is, that it is providing me with the peace of mind that my son is receiving a balanced education, instead of lets say... just having art class everyday. Of course we read, practice writing, and all of those responsible parental educational endeavors. Though I must admit, my trend is showing a disproportionate emphasis on the creative, artistic, impromptu lesson plan. With him attending preschool three days of the week, I can now embrace my art teacher methodology and release the guilt of not supplying my child with a well rounded education. It's a good thing too, because I must echo what Zayne said when he heard my lesson outline, "this is going to be awesome!", and it was.


It was an eclectic combination of children's literature, pop culture, color theory, green environmental philosophies, temperance, and my Dad's often used edict "be a builder, don't be a destroyer". Our canvas and classroom? The driveway. Our textbook? The Lorax by Dr. Seuss. Our art medium? Sidewalk paint & sidewalk chalk. Our background music? No Doubt station on Pandora. It was our creative expression of Truffala Trees, Once-lers, and the disintegration that results from greed, & over-consumption, all encapsulated with the moral:
"But now," says the Once-ler,
"Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better.
It's not.

(The Lorax by Dr. Seuss)

No comments:

Post a Comment