Saturday, March 2, 2013

Saturday Morning Shuffle

Our Saturday mornings vary, but you can pretty much bank on the probability that we don't jump feet first into warp speed. Unless there is a soccer game. Then we can rally. 

Some of our low-key favorites include, Dad-made pancakes, or Dad-bought donuts. Movies, cartoons, and Lego extravaganza are also frequent favorites. The Lego spread is not a weekly tradition, but I'd say at least once a month or more, we end up with a family room full of Lego's. I think it dates back to my childhood. I vaguely recall Pee-Wee's Playhouse and a carpet full of Lego's on Saturday mornings. 

There was one Saturday where a specific request was made of me. It sounded simple enough. As in, reconstruct the disassembled Lightening McQueen and Mater Lego figures from Cars. I had the instruction booklets, but all of the pieces were mixed in with the two large buckets of individual or stray pieces. I still can't say what possessed me to acquiesce to this request. Cute little boys in pj's with rustled hair that offer hugs & kisses probably had something to do with it. I will never admit or acknowledge the amount of time it took me to sift, sort, and retrieve all the pertinent pieces, as well as assemble these two small Lego Cars figures. I recall my victorious emergence with both vehicles held in opposite hands, built in exactness. A quick glance at the microwave clock, and all semblance of success deflated, as I realized how long this assembly had actually taken me. Lets just say, that I will not be winning any speed records in Lego construction, EVER. My Lego engineering pace is definitely a slow shuffle.





Donuts, artwork by Janelle Jensen Fritz

No comments:

Post a Comment