Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mr. Manners & the Smiley Face Kid

I'm a proponent of manners. Please, thank you, gracias, excuse me, etc. I've taught my children these pleasantries, they use them, sometimes. But there is one place that it just tweeks my nerves to have someone try and give my child a lesson in manners. And yet, it has happened on multiple occasions, in fact this is the 3rd.  Whenever I decide to go to Costco with my two-in-tow on some weekday evening. 

I only go to Costco every month & a half or so. Chances are, the cart will be packed with large items like diapers, TP, etc things that take up the whole cart. The cart ends up weighing two tons and the whole experience counts as a workout. We stick to our list but that doesn't mean I am not accosted by, "Can we get these?", every two seconds. 

So we usually make it through the checkout intact, take a 15 min bathroom break, and since it is 7ish at night we hit up the cafe for pizza. Last night my patience was peaking, and I almost lost it in line while simultaneously trying to steer & maneuver the laden down cart. Keep my receipt out, keep the 2 year old from screaming to get out of the cart to see the motorcycle on display, and order & pay for the food. So when I call for the 6 year old to help me carry the plates? He is over at the napkin dispenser putting on a slow motion comedy show by flinging out the napkins and waving them around in some sort of silly dance. With a line behind us, I call him back from his "worlds-a-stage" distraction and get us to a table. 

The pizza & pop post pooped-a-loop shopping workout is well timed. Convo's include cheese elevators, school, running shoes and we laugh & smile. Though somehow while trying to convince the 2 year old to eat two bites, I didn't think to prep their etiquette for the Costco exit. We finish. The 2 year old needs another diaper change and is adamant that it happen immediately. There is no way I'm going back to the bathroom. We will do it all in the car. Diaper, load the kids, load the cart, in the wind. I've got on my combat boots for a reason and we are off.

In order to leave Costco you must stop at the exit, have an employee check your receipt and check your cart. So my sweet 6 year old, who really has been a trooper on this excursion, asks the man kindly, "Can I have a smiley face?" 

And the man says, "How should you ask?". Without missing a beat my boy answers "pretty please." And we get our smiley face. Zayne is too busy studying the smiley, to say thank you, so I wince one out for him. But really, I'm grumped out.

Those interactions just leave a mother feeling like we've failed in the manners department. As if I need to address the apathy of the thank you, when that is the last thing me or my child needs! It's 7:30 at night, and both my kids are not screaming. They trooped through this trip. We kept it together, but we are minutes away from the breaking. I just spent $200 at the store where this man works, so that he can get paid to highlight my receipt. It's not like my son even demanded it, as in "Give me a smiley face!" He asked, sweetly. We treat workers with respect. So call me rude & callous but at the end of the day Mr. Manners, PLEASE return the favor, and show us a little respect, and don't make a mom & her babies grovel for a smiley face :-) Gracias.


6 comments:

  1. Hahaha I love you! I needed your story and that laugh. Thank you (said in my sweetest tone) :)
    -Karalenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. You always seemed to get my humor my fun friend, I certainly love yours!

      Delete
  2. Word. My kids would've said, "Oh! Oh! Gimme one!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Werd. Love it. Even with a "gimme", if they adopted their moms fantastic smile and said it with bubbly enthusiasm, I'd say they deserve one. Sounds like we are totes on the same page ;)

      P.S. I'd like to be linked in to your blog

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the story, it was sad and familiar. Please do have a much better day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Often life seems a little less sad and a bit more humorous whenever I hear the ring of familiarity, especially as it relates to parenthood.

      Delete