Thursday, May 30, 2013

Faux Guac

My family are often the recipients of my avant garde flair for experimentation. On the most regular and utilitarian basis, this occurs in my kitchen. I am a proponent of family meals, table dinners, and prepare dinner on a regular basis. Several times a week with some intermittent sandwich nights or something equally as low-key interspersed. It leaves me enough recuperation to keep the cycle in operation. I follow rules, but don't usually follow recipes. Except on the rare event I attempt bread. I have no feeling for it, so it requires that I follow explicit instructions. 

Occasionally I access the blogosphere  to affirm or discount a new idea that has popped in my head. I have to say my successes trump my fails. Still, I never post recipes, and the thought of taking pictures during the cooking/baking process makes me shiver. I appreciate the lovely photo spread cooking demo photography, but there is no way that is going to happen here. Photography is not my forte, neither is the stop & start  of the creative process. Easily apparent to the few of you that endure my iphotography, and its pure lack of aesthetic quality on a regular basis. 

Today at a pre-summer pot-luck lunch with moms and kids,  I realized that I may even have less "fails" than I once thought. Usually my critics are two young boys and a man that has foodie tenets but with a staunch preferential for meat & potato varieties. So naturally when I make anything vegetarian, its not usually met with overwhelming cheers and fist pumps in the air. (I'm not really a vegan gal, although I do have a few vegan recipes up my sleeve.) 

So here is the on-the-fly faux guacamole recipe that my husband and boys rated as an utter fail, but my fellow mom friends lauded as a success: 

Faux Guac
(Spinach-bean dip)  

4-6 cups of fresh spinach
1 can of black beans
1-2 green onions
juice from 1/2 a lime
1-2 tsp of cumin
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 TBSP of chopped cilantro
1/2-1 TBSP of Srirachi (Rooster Sauce) 
1/4 cup of sour cream 

Add spinach, onion, cilantro, lime juice to a food processor. Blend. 
Add black beans, cumin, srirachi sauce, and S&P  to mixture. Blend until smooth. 
Fold in sour cream until the dip lightens to a faux guac color. 
Serve with veggies, meat, or chips. 


 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment