Monday, May 6, 2013

My Mom...

My 6-year old has a great sense of humor. He is still in the process of figuring out appropriate timing, appropriate subject matter, and appropriate settings. But he's 6, and even if he doesn't always hit the mark for the adults, he usually can get a laugh out of his peers. I'll give him props though, because he's learning. And more often than not, he nails it even for the adults. Especially when I am the scapegoat.

Case in point, last week when we went to the dentist for our cleaning. Z & I were both scheduled for the same time slot. Which meant he was in the room next to mine. I heard intermittent chatting, but since it's the dentist, he was verbally restrained for a while. Until all of the sudden, I hear the loud declaration of "My Mom doesn't brush her teeth. She only brushes her teeth on Sundays." I was getting tartar chiseled off my upper teeth at the moment that I burst out laughing. Along with everyone else in earshot. Both the dentist, and Z's hygienist promptly came over to us still laughing, to see if we heard his take on my so-called apathetic personal hygiene.Thankfully I didn't have any cavities, so my neglect wasn't called into question. 

I must say, my infractions, are steadily stacking against me. On a recent Sunday, I was stopped in the hallway at church by his Sunday School teacher. The week previously I had stayed home with the coughing 2-year-old and Z and his Dad had attended together. She told me that last week he had announced that, "My Mom is at home sleeping. She sleeps ALL day on Sunday." In all honesty, I had probably slept in that morning until 9am. From time-to-time Johnathan and I try to trade "a sleep in day" on the weekends. And because a sick 2-year-old doesn't sleep well during the night, and there were a couple days compiled with some deprivation on my sleep schedule, it may have even been until 9:30am. Come to think of it, I may have even had the audacity to read for 20 minutes when I woke, before I emerged into the house over-run by my 3 boys after their several hours awake. Though, I recall, while they were at church, I didn't take a nap, I restored order. 

But he cracks me up, and I laugh freely. Even if the perspective painted by my 6-year-old is that even though I "sleep ALL day on Sunday", at least that is the day I brush my teeth. 

4 comments:

  1. Remember the good ole days when we use to sleep in until one on Sundays?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the day, we were also staying up until 3 or 4am but not from nursing, burping, or crying. All the changing seasons of our lives...

      Delete
  2. It took me the better part of the week, but I'm here! And laughing.

    My eldest aunt has eleven children. She used to buy toothbrushes by the box (the big huge ones), but even then, toothbrushes disappeared at an alarming rate at her house. Finally, exasperated, she told her kids that that box was it, when it was gone, so were the new toothbrushes. The kids soon ended up sharing toothbrushes. One day one of her elementary schoolers came home after a dentist came to visit her class. "Mom," she said with big eyes and in hushed tones, "Do you know we are each supposed to have our OWN toothbrush?!" My cousin who was in high school at the time told me, "Goodness knows what she told her class!" But they all lived to adulthood and they laugh and smile often when they get together so I guess it works out even if you don't have your OWN toothbrush.

    I think you are wonderful! Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie! I appreciate the props. You have the best stories, I love it when you share them!

      Delete